What does it mean when your ex doesn’t text you back? There are few things as frustrating as going through a breakup, trying to make amends (or at least remain friends), and having your ex turn a cold shoulder and give you the silent treatment.
You’re like a ghost they can’t even see or hear (or if they can, they pretend not to by hiding under the bed sheets). They used to love you more than anyone and now they won’t even give you the time of day.
So how are you supposed to fix things if your ex won’t talk to you?
Reasons Your Ex Doesn’t Text You Back
Several things could be going on if your messages are being ignored, so let’s look at what it means when your ex doesn’t text you back. Here are some of the most common reasons…
- Your ex is busy or tied up for a few hours and can’t respond right away. In some cases, they may have been busy when you first texted and then forgot to respond later on.
- Your ex is upset and not ready to talk to you yet.
- Not enough time has passed since the breakup and your ex is still working out their own feelings and emotions. At this point in time, they don’t really know what they want.
- You are texting the wrong things that are making your ex feel pressured and/or bringing up negative feelings and emotions they simply don’t want to deal with.
- Your ex is annoyed because he or she just wants to be left alone and you won’t stop texting.
- Your ex is getting turned off because it sounds like you are begging and pleading to get back together.
- They have started seeing someone else and they don’t want to disrespect their new crush by texting an ex.
- They are truly done with the relationship and they want to break off all ties, but don’t have the courage to tell you so they just ignore you.
- Your ex was hurt by the breakup and wants you to experience what it’s like to miss them and not have them in your life. In other words, it’s payback.
- Your ex feels like texting you back will just lead to a fight and they don’t want to deal with that.
- They lost their phone, it broke, or they got a new number. Not likely, but possible.
- They had an emergency and responding to texts is the least of their concerns right now.
- They may not have received your text right away. Occasionally phones and phone services have technical glitches or texts get tied up and don’t get delivered for hours.
- They still love you, but don’t want to get hurt all over again.
Figuring out what it means when your ex doesn’t text you back isn’t always easy. In reality, there are hundreds of reasons why you might not get a response.
However, most of the time when your ex doesn’t text you back, it means they are upset and don’t want to talk to you right now. You can’t MAKE them text you back. If they don’t want to talk, they don’t want to talk.
If they don’t reply, the worst thing you can do is keep texting them repeatedly with things like…
- ”Why aren’t you texting me back?”
- ”Do you hate me or something? I’ve sent like 3 texts and still haven’t heard back from you.”
- ”Please, please, please respond.”
- ”Why are you being like this? I just want to talk. Ugh! I hate this!”
Instead, follow a 2-text rule.
Basically this means you should never send more than 2 texts in a row without getting a response. If your ex decides not to text you back, then let it go. Respect their wishes and give them space. You can try again in a few weeks if they never get back to you.
The 2 text rule is also a great way to gauge whether your ex is just busy or if they don’t want to talk to you for some reason. If you send a second text and they were just busy when you sent the first one, then they will probably respond.
If they don’t want to talk to you because they are upset or just ignoring you on purpose, then you probably won’t get a response to either text. In that case, you need to leave them alone and not send anything else.
So at the end of the day, what does it mean when your ex doesn’t text you back? Most likely they’ve made the choice to ignore you on purpose.
They might be mad. They might be sad. They might be hurt. Just know, they’ll almost always come around when they’re ready as long as you don’t try to force the issue.
If you want to learn the right things to text that will compel your ex to respond, then I highly recommend checking out Michael Fiore’s Text Your Ex Back System. There’s some really cool stuff in there. You can click this link to visit the official website.